It has begun, the google search of Sarah Palin turns up some interesting information about John McCain’s new VP running mate aside from her being currently under investigation in Alaska for abuse of power. She also thinks that creationism should be taught along side evolution in school… that in my book disqualifies her from my personal vote. This shows a lack of critical thinking on her part, as it is clear in the article she does not understand what a scientific theory is.
Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion of Wednesday night’s televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she said, “Teach both. You know, don’t be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it’s so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both.”
It seems the assault on science is to continue.
Over at RayComfort Blog Ignorance Central he has what he calls the Atheist Starter Kit. It is a collection of his ten recommendations for a novice atheist in how to argue with theist…. it’s amusing because it demonstrates that lack of depth with which he proclaims to understand atheists. I wanted to take the time and generally mock these 10 absurd points.
1. Whenever you are presented with credible evidence for God’s existence, call it a “straw man argument,” or “circular reasoning.” If something is quoted from somewhere, label it “quote mining.”
Here the presumption is that you will be presented with “credible” evidence, meaning that the evidence is so compelling that it is to be believed. So Ray has evidence for Proof of God(s) and I assume that he means Jesus is God since he is Christian and not the vague undefined God that is out there…The problem is it is highly doubtful he will present credible evidence and it is more likely that it will be flawed for any number of reason including but not limited to the one he listed above. I would love credible evidence for God(s). Please Provide it!!!!!
2. When a Christian says that creation proves that there is a Creator, dismiss such common sense by saying “That’s just the old watchmaker argument.”
What about when a Muslims, Hindus, or Wiccans say it? Would this be just as much evidence for their God/Goddess? Is he making an argument for Jesus or Just a vague undefined supernatural God? Why should we accept a creator as a default position, cannot the answer be the only intellectually honest one which is we do not know at this time how the creation (universe) was created?
3. When you hear that you have everything to gain and nothing to lose (the pleasures of Heaven, and the endurance of Hell) by obeying the Gospel, say “That’s just the old ‘Pascal wager.'”
It is Pascal’s Wager! Again this argument can come from any religion so what makes your religion more correct than any other religion, they all proclaim the exclusive way through their religious text either sent directly from God(s) or divinely inspired.. Consider there are 6 billion people on the planet only 2 billion are christian that means 4 billion people are not choosing Christianity. That ‘s a lot of people just left to suffer in hell and not because they were bad or evil people but they just didn’t back your God(s)…
4. You can also deal with the “whoever looks on a woman to lust for her, has committed adultery with her already in his heart,” by saying that there is no evidence that Jesus existed. None.
Is that Jesus never existed the best argument here, how about the Freedom argument. Freedom to think and have any thought I want or can come up with. Freedom from the thought control of your book. This seems more about creating a sense of Guilt in believers, I’ll stick with freedom.
5. Believe that the Bible is full of mistakes, and actually says things like the world is flat. Do not read it for yourself. That is a big mistake. Instead, read, believe, and imitate Richard Dawkins. Learn and practice the use of big words. “Megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully” is a good phrase to learn.
This one I agree with READ the BIBLE, and you will find many mistakes and contradictions. In fact many atheists have read the bible and other religious texts… actually read it cover to cover and see if it all really does make sense. See the violence, genocide, destruction, the wrath, famine and plagues… read how if you don’t believe this forever you will be damned… and then try and reconcile that with love and tolerance it preaches on the other hand. Also read the Koran, and the book of Mormon, Hindu Purana’s… I am willing to bet Ray Comfort doesn’t want you to read those only his concept of God and religion.
6. Say that you were once a genuine Christian, and that you found it to be false. (The cool thing about being an atheist is that you can lie through your teeth, because you believe that are no moral absolutes.) Additionally, if a Christian points out that this is impossible (simply due to the very definition of Christianity as one who knows the Lord), just reply “That’s the ‘no true Scotsman fallacy.'” PLEASE NOTE: It cannot be overly emphasized how learning and using these little phrases can help you feel secure in dismissing common sense.
Unstated major premise Christian’s don’t lie. The definition of Christianity is one who knows the lord? Where does this come from certainly not Merriam Webster. He must have a different dictionary… I also like how he has conveniently done away with the need for faith, if you know something then you don’t need faith in that thing… this must go back to that credible evidence that he can present… not only can he do away with atheist and agnostics, but all other religions. He knows the lord… wait not Jesus?
7. Believe that nothing is 100% certain, except the theory of Darwinian evolution. Do not question it. Believe with all of your heart that there is credible scientific evidence for species-to-species transitional forms. When you make any argument, pat yourself on the back by concluding with “Man, are you busted!” That will make you feel good about yourself.
Ah the evolution is a religion gambit… when in fact any evolutionary biologist will tell you science is provisional on the latest data and evolution through common descent is well supported. The problem for Ray Comfort is that he cannot come up with any actual science to dispute evolution at best he can point out the holes in the information and say see it’s incomplete as if that is a criticism of of science and not its strength. There will be always missing information our knowledge will never be complete but it will be on going. Do you know what has to be believe 100% for certain with no evidence for it, if you guessed Christianity you would be correct. If you guessed any other major world religion you would also be correct.
8. Deal with the threat of eternal punishment by saying that you don’t believe in the existence of Hell. Then convince yourself that because you don’t believe in something, it therefore doesn’t exist. Don’t follow that logic onto a railway line and an oncoming train.
The difference here and it maybe a subtle one is that railway lines and trains are real. They exist and we have direct evidence for them can your provide that credible direct evidence for God and God’s other sinister creation HELL?
9. Blame Christianity for the atrocities of the Roman Catholic church–when it tortured Christians through the Spanish Inquisition, imprisoned Galileo for his beliefs, or when it murdered Moslems in the Crusades.
Wait a minute are Catholics no longer Christians? Was there a tribal council and they got voted off the island? The last time I checked Roman Catholics represent the single largest christian group both in the USA and the World, they were also founded by the apostle Peter… but they don’t really represent Christianity… Ladies and Gentlemen the Protestant Pope Ray Comfort he represents the true Christians.
10. Finally, keep in fellowship with other like-minded atheists who believe as you believe, and encourage each other in your beliefs. Build up your faith. Never doubt for a moment. Remember, the key to atheism is to be unreasonable. Fall back on that when you feel threatened. Think shallow, and keep telling yourself that you are intelligent. Remember, an atheist is someone who pretends there is no God.
Finally, keep in fellowship with other like-minded Christians who believe as you believe, and encourage each other in your beliefs. Build up your faith. Never doubt for a moment. Remember, the key to Christianity is to be unreasonable. Fall back on that when you feel threatened. Think shallow, and keep telling yourself that you are intelligent. Remember, an Christian is someone who pretends there is a God.
Which one looks like a more accurate statment?
I was in Walgreens the other night and as I went to the counter I saw these National Pride Bracelets and it just speaks for itself.
I picked up a bracelet for a closer inspection.
Why are these not made in the USA, who buys this, who can buy a USA pride bracelet made in china? How is it cheaper to make this in china and ship across the pacific? It just boggles the mind… this maybe the least patriotic thing I have ever seen, less patriotic than flag burning.
NYS Governor David Patterson has directed all state agencies to recognize same sex marriage for those couples that were married where same sex marriage is permitted. All those objectors many if not all are religiously motivated are now coming out and lamenting the death of the traditional family, as if their view of how things can be is the only way it could or should be. It is just utter nonsense that is espoused by these people. I also find it extremely hypocritical in that how many of these people are truly living by the laws in Leviticus?
These un-named religious masses that I decry here are the same folks who whine that courts shouldn’t decide things the people should except when the people’s will is not inline with their religiously motivated views then they will go to the courts to make a case as to why this should or should not be allowed . Just for example the Oregon euthanasia law that was voter approved then matter was brought by for the court and applauded by those who had religious motivation.
The Governor of NY has done the right thing here and I applaud his actions. I just hope those blinded by religious dogma will learn tolerance enough to understand that we must love all equally and if they do believe in their God(s) allow that God(s) be the judge of actions and intents and all peoples should concern themselves only with the love and respect for their fellow man and the pursuit of freedom and happiness in whatever form it may come in.
I would further support the Governor in allowing same sex marriage throughout the state, as I understand this has already been settled in court as far as the current law reads same sex marriage is not permitted in NYS. The state assembly has approved a bill that would allow for same sex marriage but the NY state senate has failed to take up the measure. I am not surprised I would be surprised if the reason they did not take up the bill was for anything other than some silly religious reason.
Also understand I am not asking these people shut up or not express their opinions I just happen to consider their opinion on these matters wrong and not supported by evidence outside of some ancient text that is demonstrably fallible. They are absolutely right to express their opinions on any matter and it is just as right to criticize them for it.
Today is Memorial day in the United States and I thought it might interesting to look at the amount of people we are asked to remember today. Memorial day is an observance designed to honor those who died while fighting on the American side in a conflict and to whom we do owe a debt of gratitude for their service. Even if we as individual citizens disagree with what certain wars or missions. What we should remember is the ultimate sacrifice these people have made with their lives. Since our nations founding in war many people have made this sacrifice and this sacrifice still goes on today.
Below is tally of our War dead we remember today
Revolutionary War – 4,435
War of 1812 – 2,206
Indian Wars – 1,000
Mexican War – 13,283
Civil War Union – 364,511
Civil War Confederate – 133,821
Civil War Total – 498,332
Spanish American War – 2,446
World War 1 – 116,516
World War 2 – 405,399
Korean War – 54,246
Vietnam War – 90,209
Dessert Shield/Dessert Storm – 1,972
Iraq War – 4,563 and counting
Total Fallen 1,194,661 who we remember today. These figures were taken from the VA with the exception of the Iraq war figures which are from the Washington Post ; These are also only those service men and women who died in major American wars and not counting those who perished in smaller conflicts and US operations for an entire run down on the US military casualties wikiepedia does a nice job of giving an overview.
How do we honor those who have sacrificed their lives, we must look at what they sacrificed their lives for… well they sacrificed their lives for the United States of American which to me is a set of ideals, it was a new idea in self government and an experiment in freedom so to any one who wants to honor the fallen soliders their fallen country men today, honor them by reading the US Consititution Weare the people the goverment is of,by, and for.
Thank you to all those who have served and continue to serve